Who should my personal representative (executor) be?

Your Personal Representative should be someone that you trust. Most times, people appoint their family members, such as spouse or children, as Personal Representative; but other times, people do not have family members that they trust and would rather name a friend. In Florida, there are laws about who can be Personal Representative. You can name anyone in your family as Personal Representative; however, if you are naming someone outside of your family, they must be a Florida resident.